Easy, Adorable Goldfish Cake
This was in Sunday’s Parade Magazine and it was so darn cute, I had to re-post it! There are also currently 3 good printable coupons below for this recipe. Happy Savings!
- 1 vanilla or white boxed cake mix (Here’s a printable Duncan Hines Coupon.)
- 2 (16-oz) cans vanilla frosting (Here’s a printable Duncan Hines Frosting Coupon.)
- Yellow food coloring
- Red food coloring
- 1 marshmallow
- 2 Junior Mints (or other brown chocolate candy)
- Fruit leather
- Green, orange, and yellow chocolate candies, such as M&M’s (Here’s a printable M&M’s coupon)
- 1 orange gummy ring
- Gum balls
- Bake 2 (8-inch) round cake layers from boxed cake mix. Let cool.
- Tint vanilla frosting orange using 4 tsp yellow food coloring and 12 drops red food coloring.
- Sandwich, cut, and arrange layers (as shown below). Freeze cake until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make eyes: Cut marshmallow in half crosswise. Put a dot of frosting on uncut ends of both marshmallow pieces and attach 1 Junior Mint to each to make pupils.
- For top fins, cut fruit leather into small semicircles (use pinking shears for a zigzag effect).
- Remove cake from freezer and coat with remaining orange frosting, smoothing with an offset spatula or a butter knife. Use the back of a small spoon or butter knife to make scales in frosting, leaving fish face smooth.
- Decorate body with green, orange, and yellow chocolate candies. Attach eyes and top fins by pressing into frosting. Press orange gummy ring onto front of cake for mouth. Add gum balls to serving platter, as bubbles.
Sandwich the 2 flat (bottom) sides of cake layers together with cup orange frosting.
Cut a small, 2-inch-wide semicircle from 1 side of layer cake. Cut semicircle into 2 pieces, 1 large and 1 small.
On a serving platter, stand cake up on flat, cut side. Position large piece on 1 end of cake to form tail. Place small piece alongside cake to make 1 side fin.